Let’s Read the Music
- We will always be in 4/4 time when discussing the eighth note in this lesson (Click here for a reminder about time signatures)
- Each eighth note gets a half of a count/beat (or 2 notes per click on the metronome).
- 2 eighth notes equal 1 beat
- The first eighth note is on the down beat (red)
- The second eighth note is on the upbeat (blue)
- There are 4 clicks (red numbers) per measure in our example
NoteWe refer to this method of counting as “1&” counting
Check out this example of counting the eighth note:
Turn on the metronome ( ♩=60) and see if you can count this measure out loud saying 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.