Building the G Major Scale
The example below is applied to a G major scale, but the process can be used for any major scale.
- Start on G, and find the 8 notes in the scale using our musical alphabet
- Example: G (start over ) A B C D E F G
- Find “G” on the circle
- Identify the number of sharps (#) – 1 sharp
- Name the sharp(s) –F#
- Change the note(s) by adding the correct sharp or flat (in this case it is a sharp -#)
- This is the G major scale!
- Example: G A B C D E F# G (From F♮ to F#)
The following video demonstrates how to build an A major scale